My Global Scholar Application!

What experiences have awakened your interest and will help you contribute to the
Global Initiatives Program at Poly?
When I was ten years old, I took my first trip to Latin America with my mom. We went to a small city
in Sao Paulo, Brazil, called Piracicaba, where my mom spent a year as an exchange student in high
school. I fell in love the minute I arrived - my mom’s Brazilian family was incredibly nice, and there
was so much passion and culture everywhere I looked. Since then, I have been to Mexico and Costa
Rica, and I participated in the GIP travel program to Peru the summer before my junior year. Through
my trips to Latin America and my study of Latin American politics and culture in my Spanish classes
with SeƱora Garcia-Dehbozorgi, I have only grown more interested in Latin America. The GIP
presentations at Poly have also sparked my interest in Latin America. Between the debate hosted by
Larry Mantle regarding border control, DACA, and immigrants, the Peruvian Ethnomusicologist,
Sonia Nazario, and especially Pastor Daniel Pacheco, I have gained a much deeper understanding of
not only the politics of Latin American countries as a whole but also the perspectives of the people
there. My past experience in Latinos Unidos has also opened my eyes to what it’s like to be a Latino/a
at Poly. One of the most eye-opening experiences I have ever had were reactions I saw in Latino
communities in Los Angeles afterthe election of President Trump. I had soccer practice the night of the
election, so I followed the election through social media during water breaks with my teammates. I
will never forget the moment the election turned and Trump pulled ahead. When Trump took the lead,
one of my teammates, Diego, began shaking. I asked him what was wrong, and he told me that he
wasn’t sure what his family was going to do, because if Trump was elected, his family could be
deported back to Mexico. At that moment, I realized that, while Trump's presidency would affect me
a little bit (mostly indirectly), there were people, family’s, kids, whose lives would be changed forever.
I also remember Poly’s scheduled soccer game with the Pasadena Job Center was cancelled because
the families associated with the job center held a meeting to decide what they would do since Trump
had been elected. I finally realized what Trump's election would mean for many members in my
community. I think that my experiences with Latin American culture, politics, and religion will help
me give insight to the global scholars and will help foster an environment of scholars very eager to
learn about different regions in the world. Moreover, my strong desire to enter Latin American
Studies will create a culture of earnest learning for a purpose greater than a GIP Scholar certificate.

In what ways do you hope that the Global Scholars program will expand and
deepen your global perspectives?
I hope the my participation in the Global Scholars program will give me a deeper understanding of
Latin American politics and culture, and I hope that I will also gain a deeper understanding of
America’s foreign policies with Latin America and its role in making Latin America the way it is
today. Moreover, I hope that participating in Global Scholars will give me a strong base in Latin
American politics and International Relations that I can use as I continue to pursue Latin American
studies in college. I hope that, through studying global perspectives and America’s role, I will have a
better understanding of where I fit in the world - who I am in relation to who others are. I also hope to
learn more about what the world will look like in the future. Latin America  continues to expand its
global presence and impact as an important player on the world stage, one with incredible human and
natural resources and enormous potential. I am fascinated by the imminent restructuring of the
balance of power in economic, social and even military terms. But, above all, I hope that, through my
study of language and international relations, I am able to connect with more people, better understand
diverse cultures and gain a more accurate understanding of how the rest of the world sees us (the US)
and themselves. In other words, I wish to develop a more world centric view because, based on what
I’ve learned so far, that view is a pretty good one.

Comments

Popular Posts