My global scholar presentation!

Last week I gave my global scholar Capstone Project presentation with Rory Xanders!

Rory and I presented the preliminary draft of our CVSA catalogue on the UN Sustainable Development Goals. We explained what got us into Global Affairs in the first place, and why we chose to do Global Scholars. To connect our presentation to the Global Scholar theme for this year (Trailblazing), we also mentioned some of the trailblazers that inspired us to be trailblazers in our own right. I remember Sama Wareh speaking about how she just jumped right in and started. She didn't think about every possible outcome, she just made her decision and flew to Syria to make a movie. I was very moved by her ability to trust her instinct, and I definitely kept her in my mind when I started writing the catalogue - Rory and I had no idea how it would turn out, or if we would even have a finished product, but we jumped right in and started.

Our capstone project took many hours and was spread out across many months. We had countless meetings with Mrs. Larios, Mr. Caragher, Mme. Diederich, Mrs. Angus (Executive Director of Commission on Voluntary Service & Action), and Mrs. Arnold (Program Coordinator of Young & Healthy). We were trained on how to reach out to and interview organizations, and we interviewed many of our peers so they could do the same. We met after school to proofread documents, we sent reminder emails to organizations, we met at Red Hen Press to learn some publishing tips, and we had multiple late nights forming indexes and copyright pages for the catalogue. The catalogue is nearly complete, and we are sending it to be printed by the end of next week. I can't wait to see the end project!

I had many reflections from this experience.
  1. This project taught me that, if I ever want to do something, I just need to find a way to get it done. At first, Rory and I were both a little scared that we were "too young" and "too inexperienced" to publish a catalogue. However, after starting the project and seeing it to its completion, we realized that we were never really in over our heads. We could do this. I learned that the best way to make a difference in my community is to just go out and start.
  2. Learning about all of these organizations gave me a greater appreciation for how many amazing people there are in my own community and how many people and organizations are doing great work for others.
  3. It was cool to be part of something bigger than myself and my community. Although this publication is just for the greater Pasadena area, this is a worldwide project. There are 193 countries that are thinking about ways to solve the same problems I am, which is pretty dang cool.
  4. This project taught me how to focus on the small things. When Rory and I undertook this project back in first semester, it seemed extremely daunting. I learned to just focus on the next step of the project while still keeping the end result in the back of my mind. It’s important not to lose sight of the purpose and the goal, but it’s also important not to be overwhelmed or bogged down by it.

I am so incredibly grateful to Mrs. Larios, Mrs. Angus, and Rory for giving me this unforgettable opportunity, and I can't wait to share the end product with you all!

Comments

Popular Posts