Closing Time

Here it is... my final blog. A long, thrilling journey coming to a close.

The Poly Global Initiatives Program and the Poly Global Scholars have really shaped my high school experience. Through GIP and GS, I have climbed Machu Picchu, met a Red Cross first responder, immersed myself in Argentinian culture, heard from esteemed authors, taught English in the Dominican republic, hosted events, and even published a catalogue alongside my best friend. It's been quite a journey.

As I look back on my experience in high school, no moment really stands out. Now, I don't say this because no moment was memorable, I say this because each moment was memorable. I truly feel like each moment spent in both the GIP and GS program was significant, and I feel like each moment makes up part of who I am today. Of course there are some highlights - Argentina, the Dominican Republic, the Invest Yourself project - but they do not overshadow the little moments - the class discussions, the presentations, the blogs. 

I am so, incredibly thankful to everyone who helped me along the way. 

To Mr. Caragher, Mme. Diederich, Mr. Bracker, and Mrs. Fleischer: Thank you for all that you do to make both the GIP and GS programs an amazing and formative experience.

To the chaperones and trip leaders on each GIP trip: Thank you for all of the time you spend preparing and organizing the trip, and thank you for devoting your vacation time to my education and enrichment. I am so grateful for each of my experiences abroad, and none of them would have been possible without you.

To my GIP trip peers and my fellow GS: Thank you for all of the memories (funny, emotional, and everything in between). Thank you for taking risks with me and supporting me through the end.

To Rory, Calvin, Violette, Mrs. Larios, and Mrs. Angus: Thank you for embarking with me on the daunting task of publishing a catalogue in a mere 4 months. You are all incredibly successful people, and I'm so thankful for each contribution you made to making this project something I am very proud of. I couldn't dream of a better team. It took a lot of time and effort, but we did it!

And last, but not least, to my family: Mom, Dad, Katie, thank you so much for everything you have contributed to my education and to my life. Paying the expenses for the trips and, well, tuition, was more than I could ever ask for, but you didn't stop there. You have pushed me up mountains and pulled me out of valleys and never asked for anything in return (although I did my best to return the favor where I could). I will be happy if I am half as spectacular as you all at some point in my life (and that includes you, Katie. You may be young, but you are wiser than you know). So thank you for being my mentors, my cheerleaders, and my best friends. I never could have done it without you. 

As I close this final entry and my experience as a global scholar, I have selected some lyrics from songs that I think really ring true for me in this transition from high school to the world beyond:

Closing time 
Time for you to go out go out into the world. 
Closing time 
Turn the lights up over every boy and every girl. 
Closing time...
Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.
- Closing Time, Semisonic

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
- I Hope You Dance, Lee Ann WomackOff to the next adventure!

Comments

Popular Posts